Thursday, April 22, 2010

Brevity

I'm reading Strunk and White's The Elements of Style to freshen up on my writing/usage rules and skills. This passage was nice:

Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer makes all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.

Easier said than done, Strunk and White.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i am not good at this...and i don't know the english teacher neighbors last names, but their first names are rick and megan--do you know them?

laceylou said...

YES!! I love them!! I worked with them at the Community College when I was a tutor!

Erin said...

My high school teachers drilled a similar idea into us. "No lard," they said, referring to unnecessary words.

Erin said...

and i think mark twain said that brevity is the soul of wit. love that quote.