Sunday, February 22, 2009

honey-child

Warning: This post is bit lengthy and cheesy. You may want to spare yourself.

Today was exceptionally interesting.

At church I helped with the kids in the nursery. Okay, let's backtrack a bit. I have a cousin named Gracie. She was born a day after my birthday on April 24th. I babysat her once and she hated me...hated me. Oddly enough, she has absolutely adored me ever since. So, in the nursery today I helped the kids, including Gracie, draw houses, stairs, trees, chimneys, slides and grass. They begged me to draw things for them, but I told them to watch me and try things on their own. Here's my attempt:



Needless to say, I greatly miss coloring and cutting out things from construction paper. Here's Gracie's attempt at a swimming pool with a slide which she insisted on stapling to the picture of my house. I told her the pool should have fish which she added and then drew large dashes all around the water, and said, "this red is the really hot." Oh, kids.



Gracie also colored this:



I enjoy children, but sometimes I don't censor myself well. For example, today one girl kept peeling the wrapper off of the crayons and I said something to the effect of we shouldn't take the clothes off the crayons because then they're naked and that's no good. Absoloutely a terrible thing to say to a group of five and six year olds. After that, another girl proceeded to tell me about the time her crayons were naked, and I really think that they're all going to go home and tell their parents about how we tried to keep the clothes on the crayons. The church may never trust me with the kids again. I guess I could have tried to make it biblical and referenced Adam and Eve in some way. Maybe not. Ahah.

On another note, I watched Coraline with a group of friends this weekend, and I liked it, quite a bit.

Also, I feel like a cat mom. I know that taking care of kids and taking care of pets are two totally different things, but when people come over, I really just talk about the cat. I also take lots of picture of her. I feed her, clean up after her, try to teach her things...and so on. I always knew I was a crazy cat lady I just never thought it would happen so soon. Thus the following:





So Lent is approaching and I really want to fast from something. What that something should be is not quite clear yet.

I'm helping with a Disciple-Now this weekend and I'm really worried. I stress out way too much over things like this. Today I started reading through the material and got really confused and angry/frustrated. I don't think I agree with what the author is saying about evangelism and it scares me because I don't know if my convictions are right or just plain cynical. Oh well, maybe I'll blog about the specifics later.

I think that's all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the naked crayons! And don't worry about being a pet-mom. you're not nearly as bad as me!!

B. Anne Jarboe said...

yeah, your profile pic isn't of your pet. the pet that you coddle and i kick out of the way.
the good thing about children is that they grow out of it.
ha.
i am praying for you and the D-now!
chillove.

Miss Savannah Jane said...

Cat motherhood is a blessing! The pictures of Nana are very cute.

When I worked at daycare, we would have waterslide/sprinkler/slip-n-slide day in the summers about twice a week, and I'd change them into their swimming suits before lunch, and one day this kid Riley said to me, "Miss Savannah, are we having naked lunch today." Except he said it like neked. And I was like OMWORD! He's gonna go home and tell him mamma that he has to eat lunch naked.....When really he is wearing swimming trunks just with no shirt.