Tuesday, March 10, 2009

All Things New or All Things Old...

I had forgotten how much I love simple homeade sandwiches. Today I hung out with Cody and we made turkey sandwiches for lunch with fresh cut tomatoes and lettuce. He also shared his spicy barbecue chips and slightly frozen key lime pie. Yum. Cheap, fast, good. It also made me think of Sunday summer afternoons with my family. We'd leave church, run to the grocery, buy fresh bread, chips, and cookies and sit around the table for over an hour sometimes just munching and talking. Makes me miss my brother and who he used to be and reminds me that everyone and everything is changing. Dare I say I'm feeling nostalgic?

Spring break is at hand and I feel like it's simultaneously going slow and fast at the same time. If I'm completely honest, I'm restless, bored, and un-motivated. Why didn't I plan to travel somewhere? I wish I could just pack my suitcase, right now, and go somewhere far, far away from here. I mean far. I've been playing Over the Rhine's "Suitcase." The lyrics don't really match what I'm feeling, but they make me think about leaving nonetheless...."What'cha doin' with a suitcase? Trying to hit the ground with both feet running...? Stealing away on a sunny day." Hmmmmmm. Anywhere but here.

It's been a year since I've watched the Beatrix Potter movie and I'm fighting a big urge to buy it and watch it again.

I watched Changeling last night with a new friend from work and I liked it. It was about three hours long and I wanted to scream out of frustration the whole time, but it was powerful and had a lot to say about women's rights and struggles in the twenty's and the corruption of the law enforcement system at the time.

I met with the jail book club tonight. One woman broke down right there in the room. :( Everytime I leave those grey walls and locked doors I breathe a little deeper remembering what it means to be free to choose what I eat, where I go, when I wake up every morning. There are some major inequality issues between men and women in some prisons/jails. I'm thinking of ways I can help to change it.

Nana sliced three of my fingers today. jerk.







No comments: