Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A group of friends and I traveled to Columbus, Ohio a few days ago. Road trips always poignantly remind me of the great big earth and my small, short life. The contrast is overwhelming.

As a teenager, I was convinced that being Amelia Earhart would suit me just fine.

The glamour of flying away in a red plane over clouds and oceans around the world was something to be deeply envied. I imagined myself wearing yellow goggles and a brown flyer jacket in the small pit of tiny aircraft.

Of course, I didn't really like the idea of disappearing altogether, but the exploring part, that seemed magical.


At age twenty-three, I'm haunted by travles not taken and places unseen.



"The sky is flesh. The great blue belly arches up above the water and bends down behind the line of the horizon. It's a sight that has exhausted its magnificence for me over the years, but now I seem to be seeing it for the first time."
--Jane Mendelsohn, I Was Amelia Earhart

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this made me think of your red amelia suitcase that we found at clothes lion...

you should travel--you don't want to have any regrets!

laceylou said...

thanks sarah. :)


I tell myself it's really her's.

we need a saravan caravan.

BALLET NEWS said...

such a great post !