Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pet Peeve

Dear Readers,

Allow me to introduce you to the...subjunctive mood.

Here's the best technical definition I could find online: A verb is in the subjunctive mood when it expresses a condition which is doubtful or not factual. It is most often found in a clause beginning with the word "if." It is also found in clauses following a verb that expresses a doubt, a wish, regret, request, demand, or proposal.

So, if you were to use the word "if," please remember to change your verb. Many a lyric and status update committ crimes against the subjunctive mood. I encourage you to separate yourself from that majority.


Here's a few examples:

Incorrect: If I was to particpate in any sport, it would be pole vaulting.
Correct: If I were to participate in any sport, it would be pole vaulting.

Incorrect: She wishes she was somewhere else.
Correct: She wishes she were somewhere else.

If I were you, I'd take these offenses very seriously.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

heehee--i like this. i think i use it correctly

laceylou said...

Here's should be Here're. Just had to put that out there for my own sanity.