Saturday, September 5, 2009

Buffy, the Fluffy, Blankenship

Buffy, our fifteen-year old family dog, was put to sleep yesterday at 2:00 pm. She was buried up the hill and under the tall oak tree in our backyard where we threw the table scraps. I think that's appropriate. Buffy loved to eat. :) My parents were hoping that she would just die naturally, but she didn't and things were terrible for her. I even prayed that God would take her peacefully, but for some reason He didn't.


When she was a puppy, I used to get scraed thinking about the day she would die and that day came yesterday. I thought it wouldn't be as horrible as I had always imagined because she was so sick and we knew she would die soon, but it really feels terrible knowing she's gone forever. I think it's about the memories too. She embodied pieces of so so many other things in my life-- Big snows, birthday parties, other cats that came and went, my childhood, one of my best friends that moved away, my brother, my dad, my mom. She was home. And more than anything, her death means that home is changing...without me. That's a selfish thought, but it's true.


Buff, in her better, younger days:



2 comments:

Unknown said...

so sorry sweety! i know how heartbreaking this is--my golden retriever, sugar, died while i was in college and it broke my heart--i broke down crying in a psychology of religion class a year later just thinking about her!

hope you are comforted right now. I love you so much!!!

Erin said...

Aw Lace! Praying for you. I miss you gals already.