Saturday, September 19, 2009

Dashboard Inspiration

Running fast--wolves at my heels.
Teeth bared, bellies of bottomless appetite chasing
the hem of my dress.
Who was to think I could hide from them?
Who was I to think I could hide from You?
Tempted by the forest's edge
I crossed the timbered line.
Trees grew taller and speckled light dissolved.
Muscles weak, skin bruised, body weak,
running circles around
your mercy
your grace.
But in the center of darkness
and defeat
You called my name.
You opened the door to a fortress of stone.
You fed me, cleaned me, wrapped me in warm robes.
I fell at Your feet.
Told me I'd be safe forever.
You saved me.
Jesus, you saved me.


Waiting a red on red light downtown yesterday, I saw one of The Queue customes cross the street in front of me. The car waiting for him to reach the other side turned so very close to his feet. Instantly I thought of the way the world chases us with bared teeth and outstretched claws. Thankfully, this world is not our home. :)

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is the hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father, and I lay down my life for the sheep." Jesus, as recorded in the book of John 10:10-15.



The Women's Theology Class met again this morning. The meetings have been an enormous blessing so far. I've been consistently humbled by the confessions and insights of other women and I know God is working on my heart.

Picked up John Piper's Don't Wast Your Life a few days ago and was struck by this: "Some of you will die in the service of Christ. That will not be a tragedy. Treasuring life above Christ is tragedy."

Oh God, I pray my life is not a waste.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I read that Piper quote on someone's facebook info once, and it haunted me for days.

I like your poem.